At the City of Sugar Land, we are looking for people driven by a desire to contribute, possess a willingness to be challenged, and are committed to public service. Our champion employees are a driving factor for making Sugar Land "One of America's Best".
The Public Works Department has an opening for Electrician. This position will install and repair electrical fixtures, apparatus, and control equipment, repair and maintain major equipment such as motors, generators, and electrical control systems, and test defective equipment to determine the cause of malfunction or failure using various electrical test equipment. Work will be at the City's surface water treatment plant, groundwater plants, and wastewater lift stations located throughout the City. In addition, this position will be responsible for reviewing and preparing proposed plans and specifications for new or replacement equipment, providing training and supervision to others in the replacement or installation of existing or new electrical equipment, repairing and maintaining all facility electrical wiring and fixtures in accordance with blueprints, manuals, and building codes.
Summary of Duties:
- Review and/or prepare proposed plans and specifications for new or replacement equipment. Make recommendations for improvement to existing equipment and facilities.
- Repair and maintain all facility electrical wiring and fixtures in accordance with blueprints, manuals, and building codes using appropriate hand and Electrician's tools.
- Install and repair electrical fixtures, apparatus and control equipment. Repair and maintains major equipment such as motors, generators and electrical control systems.
- Test defective equipment to determine the cause of malfunction or failure using standard electrical test equipment.
- Inspects circuits and wiring for shielding, grounding and repairs. Rewire plant equipment systems according to state building codes and safety regulations.
- Adjusts, calibrates, and repairs electrical-pneumatic control systems; Inspects electrical-pneumatic systems for emergency repairs; Reports and logs all findings for review by Operations Manager.
- Plan and prepare layout of new wiring installations.
- Work may involve evening, weekends, holidays, and overtime.
- Required to work as an essential employee before, during and after an emergency or disaster.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Public Works Management Team.