Under direct supervision, the Maintenance Tech/Driver 1 performs routine and repetitive tasks to construct, maintain and repair the City’s streets, roads, bridges, medians, right of ways, gutters, curbs, sidewalks, drainage system, and other public areas or related duties as required within the City’s limits.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Regular and timely attendance at work
- Cleans, repairs, and maintains roads, bridges, medians, right of ways, gutters, curbs, sidewalks, drainage system, and other public areas within the city’s limits
- Performs routine and repetitive physical strenuous tasks such as hand working asphalt and concrete as it is placed, loading and unloading trucks, laying pipelines and repairing manholes, patching pot holes and overlaying of streets, sealing cracks in asphalt and concrete, remove and replace concrete to include form setting to finishing, cutting brush, trees, mowing and weed-eating high grass and weeds, and maintaining, cleaning around street intersections and medians
- Paint curbs including curb numbers
- Operates, repairs, and maintains vehicles and various light equipment and tools such as tractors, mowers, front end and back end loaders, bucket trucks, augers, maintainers, jackhammers, skill saws; drills, bolt cutters, rollers, dump trucks, etc.
- Works safely when working in close proximity to high-speed vehicle traffic areas, along medians, and right-of-ways;
- Identifies and informs supervisor of potential hazards, liability exposures, problem areas, public inquiries of the general public, and the status of work activities
- Conducts daily inspections and preventative maintenance measures of vehicles, equipment, and tools such as washing, checking safe and proper operation, and servicing
- Adheres to departmental, personnel, and safety rules and regulations
- Performs strenuous physical activities to include, exerting up to 50 lbs of pressure, lifting heavy objects, shoveling, crawling, bending, kneeling, climbing on and off equipment, and operating vibrating equipment
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Street Department Superintendent;