Alternative Certification Program (Teacher Internship)
Professional, Administrative / Clerical, Career Education
Administrative / Clerical
Please ONLY apply if you fall into the following categories:
- Do not hold a Texas Standard Teacher Certificate
- If you are currently in another ACP and are seeking to transfer to HISD-Alternative Certification Program
- Have a conferred four-year degree from an accredited college or university, or will obtain one by May 2020, with a minimum of a 2.5 GPA
- All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an accredited transcript evaluation company. A list of the evaluation companies is available on SBEC website.
- The countries listed below have been approved by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) to satisty the English language proficiency requirement specified in 19 TAC s230.11(b)(5)(C). To be exempted from the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT) testing requirement specified in 19 TACs230.11(b)(5)(B), a certification candidate must have earned an undergraduate or graduate degree from an institution of higher education on the SBEC-approved list of countries: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grand Cayman, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Liberia, Nigeria, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Trinidad/Tobago, Turks and Caicos, United Kingdom and U.S. Pacific Trust.
- Satisfactory scores of the TOEFL-iBT exam must be at least a: 24 on the speaking section, 22 on the listening section, 22 on the reading section, and 21 on th writing section.
- Are eligible to legally work in the United States (currently, our program does not sponsor H1b visas)
Before applying to this position, thoroughly read the information below:
- By applying to this program, you are requesting to be considered for a paid teaching internship through HISD’s Alternative Certification Program, for the 2020-2021 school year. We are HISD’s Alternative Certification Program (ACP) for novice teachers, dedicated to recruiting individuals from non-educational backgrounds and careers who are passionate about students and teaching and learning.
- Upon submission of the application, all reference checks will be automatically sent. Every candidate will receive a response from HISD. You will be contacted through email, as this is our primary method of communication. HISD will not be able to contact you if your contact information is inaccurate.Verify and update your information as needed.
- Candidates who meet our standards will proceed to the next step in the selection process.
Who should apply to this position?
- All candidates who are passionate about teaching in HISD as a full-time teacher and do not hold a teacher certification.
- You will be prompt to pay the Application fee after submitting the application.
- (There is a non-refundable application fee of $35.00)
4400 W 18th St
Houston, TX 77092