The Safety & Compliance Coordinator is responsible for assisting the DOT Safety & Compliance Team in ensuring compliance in driver compliance, hours of service, vehicle maintenance, driver fitness, hazmat, and other required regulations. The coordinator will assist in reviewing, evaluating, collecting data, and coordinating safety programs and instructing truck and trailer drivers in matters pertaining to traffic and safety regulations, company policies, penalties, and care of equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities includes the following.
- Answer phone calls, emails, messages, or in-person visits for any Safety Related calls, assist the caller and/or route them appropriately.
- Complete Employment Verification requests for terminated driver’s prospective employers per FMCSR
Monitor, Maintain, Order, & Report on all regulations and reporting requirements for:
- Trip, Fuel, and OOG, OW/OH Permits
- International Registration Program (IRP)
- International Fuel Tax Program (monitor/submit weekly trip reports to ensure accurate fuel tax reporting)
- Approve/Deny DOT Hauling/Storing Daily with Sales and Logistics Coordinators on Hazardous Cargo Shipments and Overweight Shipments
- Attend Port of Houston Authority, BNSF, and Union Pacific Safety Meetings
- Active member of the Gulf Winds safety committee.
- Assist in approving invoices for various safety items and reconciling drivers on invoices.
- Review and assess all driver applicant qualification documents for accuracy and completeness to ensure Safety team has DOT-audit readiness.
- Assist to track all driver credentials (License, Haz-Mat Endorsement, Medical Cards, etc.) and send expiring/renewal notification reports to drivers and team supervisors.
- Assist in Driver Annual Review process to include request for MVR’s and distribution/collection of certificates of violation
- Assist in completing all driver safety performance history checks and DOT drug/alcohol history checks
- Assist in populating and managing Third Party software to ensure all driver credentials and files are compliant with FMCSR
- Assist with Third Party eLog system and assist in correcting driver elogs and running violation reports.
- Assist in populating the Driver Safety Performance Tracking spreadsheets and other reports for trending by month and year.
- Assist in conducting new driver basic hazardous materials, security awareness, and security plan training.
- Assist in conducting driver re-training based on need per company policy.
- Lead efforts for bi-quarterly safety newsletter for independent contractors and work with safety manager and director of safety & compliance on driver recognition and driver appreciation events.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Gulf Winds International, Inc. was founded in April 1996. The idea was to develop a full service, third party logistics company that would focus on warehousing, land transportation, distribution and consolidation.
In 1997, the Houston Trucking division opens with 5 trucks and by 1998 Gulf Winds opened its 2nd warehouse facility. By 2012 Gulf Winds opened its 7th warehouse. Today Gulf Winds is operating with over 2.3 million square feet of warehouse space. By any measurement standard, Gulf Winds is a remarkable success story. In just a few years, the company has grown from only four employees with one account to over 500 employees including ILA and contract labor and thousands of accounts with several locations in Houston and Dallas.