Thank You for Your Service - Texas Waives Licensing Fees for Veterans
By Diana Anderson Posted 07-30-2018

Thank You for Your Service –


I’m sure military veterans hear that phrase all the time, but when you’re looking for a job as you transition from the service, some real help would be great. Texas lawmakers know that it can be hard to pay all of the fees associated with licensing and certification to start a new career or pick up an old one, and they have made it easier for returning service members.


The latest figures show that Texas has 1,496,724 veterans living here, and that is 7.6% of our population. Transitioning to civilian careers in Texas is good for the veterans, and it’s good for the state!


A good first stop on your journey to a well-paid and rewarding career is your Texas Veterans Commission Liaison at the Workforce Solutions office nearest you. They are happy to help you understand requirements and access programs that help you find jobs that are a right fit for you. Research for more details.


The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) oversees a huge number of fields that require licenses and has identified six TDLR programs which have a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) code related to specific licenses, and fees. Those licensing fees have been waived for military veterans. That’s right: your experience in the military is going to save you licensing fees in these fields:


  • Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractor: ACR Contractor and ACR Certified Technician
  • Barbers: Class A Barber
  • Electricians: Master, Journeyman, Journeyman Wireman, Maintenance, and Residential Wireman
  • Polygraph Examiners: Polygraph Examiner
  • Registered Accessibility Specialists: Registered Accessibility Specialists (RAS)
  • Water Well Drillers and Pump Installers: Well Drillers and Pump Installers


You will still have to pass an examination for each of these fields before receiving a license unless you were previously licensed in Texas but that license lapsed. You need to submit documents to TDLR that verify your military experience, service, training, and/or education that is specific to the license for which you are applying and those may include:


  • Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214) with qualifying MOS CODE.
  • Verification of Military Experience and Training (DD-2586)
  • Military transcript
  • Training records
  • Evaluation reports
  • Letters from Commanding Officers describing the relevant duties that you've performed and training that you've completed.


More information can be found at Not only does this program save you money, it also helps you get into some good jobs that really need you. There are many, many in demand careers out there in these six fields.


What if you want to be in one of these lines of work, and the free licensing fee is a real bonus, but you need more training before you take the examination? Again, you’re in luck. There are a number of free classes being offered at community colleges throughout Texas that are funded by grants awarded by the U.S. Dept. of Labor’s Employment & Training Administration. If you are in the Houston area, you can check online at various campuses to see the grant classes being offered at each one.  Check to see the services offered to veterans by the DOL.


Thank you for your service!

This website uses cookies for analytics and to function properly. By using our site, you agree to these terms.