- Performs initial charge review to determine appropriate ICD-9 and CPT codes to be used to report physician services to third party payers.
- Interprets progress notes, operative reports, discharge summaries, and charge documents to determine services provided and accurately assign CPT and ICD-9 coding to these services.
- Enters appropriate data into the Billing System by selecting the appropriate codes, diagnosis, modifiers, and times of start and stop of the case, Anesthesiologist, CRNA, and Surgeon information to complete the charge process.
- Contacts physicians through management regarding procedures and other services billed to ensure proper coding.
- Responsible for reviewing patient logs and other report of clinical activity to ensure billing is captured for all patients.
- Monitors and follows up to ensure all services that can be billed are captured and coded for billing.
- Responsible for ensuring the batch processes for all coded charges.
- Utilizes batch-logging systems to comply with internal audit standards.
- Reviews all physician documentation to ensure compliance with third party and regulatory guidelines.
- Works in conjunction with the Reimbursement staff to answer all inquiries regarding coding and billing for physicians’ services.
- Works in coordination with other members of the Physicians’ Billing Office as necessary.
- Meets and exceeds short and long term goals as established for the department.
- Performs duties and job functions in accordance with the policies and procedures established for the department.
- Reports to work, meetings and professional obligations on time.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions, and results of department in relation to established goals.
- Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to influence continuous improvements in department’s efficiency and services performed.
- Serves as a member of the Clinical Operations Department. Performs duties necessary to ensure the team’s projects/goals are completed.
- Takes ownership of special projects, researches data and follows through with detailed action plans.
- Actively participates in problem identification and resolution and coordinates resolutions between appropriate parties.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Adheres to MEDNAX, Department and HR policies and procedures.
Education Level: High school diploma or GED.
Experience Years: Three to five years related experience and/or training.
Experience Industry: Healthcare
Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience will be considered.
Coding Certification by a nationally recognized coding and accreditation program that requires CEU submission for renewal, preferably CPC or CCS, is required for this position, clinical background; or minimum of three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
MEDNAX IS AN Equal Opportunity Employer..
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status