Works under the direction of a faculty member. Provides expertise in the design, operation and analysis of experiments or research projects in areas such as chemistry, biology, psychology, sociology, mathematics, statistics, computer science, physics, optometry, all fields of engineering, etc.
- May prepare samples for testing. Performs advanced testing procedures and performs analyses of data.
- Prepares reports.
- Makes uses of a variety of specialized equipment typical within area of specialization. May contribute to grant proposal development.
- Ensures experiments or research efforts are performed according to specifications.
- May make recommendations to changes in procedures, processes, or experimental design.
- May prepare and/or edit research papers, proposals and reports.
- Possesses, understands, and applies a comprehensive knowledge that crosses fields of specialization.
- Understands and uses effective management techniques.
- Designs, operates and analyzes large experiments or research projects.
- May serve asliaison with other areas of specialization to obtain support or technical expertise for projects.
- Recommends major changes in procedures or processes for research investigations.
- May personally conduct important and/or technically complex investigations.
Operates with considerable latitude for unreviewed action. Provides direction and supervision of graduate or undergraduate research assistants involved in experiments or research.