INEOS Organization: INEOS Olefins and Polymers (O&P) USA is a significant entity as part of the INEOS group of companies. INEOS Group Limited is one of the world’s largest chemicals company with ~$30 billion of sales per annum, 16,000 employees and 68+ sites worldwide.
Business Context: The O&P USA business includes the product lines of Ethylene, Propylene, Butadiene, Polypropylene and Polyethylene. Manufacturing sites include Chocolate Bayou Works (Alvin, TX), Battleground Manufacturing Complex (LA Porte, TX), and Carson, (Carson, CA), with a division office in League City, TX.
The Main Purpose of the Role: The O&P Mechanical Integrity Engineer provides support to the Operations Function within the business, which includes Capital Projects and SHE. This support is applied in the areas of Process Safety Assurance, Mechanical Engineering Technical Expertise, Competency Development, and other responsibilities, as needed, in support of the Operations Integrity Manager.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Supporting Manufacturing sites and the Process Safety and Integrity Management (PSIM) Team in the optimization, integration and sustainability of management systems supporting Mechanical Integrity (MI) programs for Fixed Equipment, Relief System and Rotational equipment.
- Supporting Mechanical Engineering Authorities in the definition, implementation and sustainability of risk management initiatives identified to deliver continuous improvement and/or compliance with industry/regulatory changes associated to MI.
- Supporting PSIM and RMP related audits and insurance surveys in relation to MI programs for Fixed Equipment, Relief System and Rotational equipment.
- Support the tracking, reporting and identification of trends from MI leading and lagging key performance indicators.
- Supporting the O&P Mechanical Engineering Authority in the maintenance of the INEOS O&P Relief System Design Guide to assure consistent delivery between manufacturing sites and alignment with regulations and applicable industry standards.
- Assuring flare system models are maintained and updated each time a significant change in process elements occur.
- Supporting Manufacturing sites to ensure that venting systems and component designs and calculations are maintained in an evergreen status.
- Performing quality control checks/audits of work and deliverables for timeliness, accuracy, and adherence to the INEOS O&P MI procedures. These audits should also extend to maintenance records and 3rd party vendors involved in the design or testing of relief devices.
- Acting as the program implementation coordinator for INEOS O&P on MI programs for Fixed Equipment, Relief System and Rotational equipment.
- Work collaboratively with multiple sites to assure application, interpretation and execution of MI management systems are aligned and in compliance with regulations and internal procedures.
- Coordination/consultation with site maintenance, operations and capital project organizations in the delivery of MI management systems.
- Support site’s efforts at shaping and managing systems which support MI programs for Fixed Equipment, Relief System and Rotational equipment by:
- Revising and developing corporate procedures
- Supporting enhancing and/or developing sites procedures and/or practices
- Managing the workflow aspects of documentation control systems and platforms.
- Working in a coordination role to assure records and files are maintained accurate, both in the field as well as within data repository locations.
- Striving to streamline processes and consolidate systems and procedures between sites as much as practical.
- Leading the effective management of engineering tools, corporate procedures, data repositories and models supporting Flare Systems Models and Safety System design for INEOS O&P.
- Acting as the discipline lead for efforts undertaken by the sites related to flare systems studies and flare models.
- Supporting technical evaluations of procedures and guidelines for the management of Fixed Equipment, Relief System and Rotational equipment programs to assure programs documentation, tools used to deliver compliance and training are aligned with the intent and expectations.
- Interfacing with stakeholders and/or proactively looks for opportunities for improvement in MI Management systems based on site’s lessons learned and/or emerging issues in the industry.
- Interfacing and providing leadership and support to capital projects, process engineering, and contractors supporting elements of the MI program.
- Supporting Mechanical Engineering Authorities in the mentoring of staff supporting and/or executing elements of the MI Program.
- Training process engineers, reliability engineers, front-end loading engineers, and unit engineers on MI processes and Management Systems.
- Supporting sites in the development and implementation of MI organizational capability and management systems for Fixed Equipment, Relief System and Rotational equipment through people (training, coaching, and planning) and processes (development, implementation, documentation).
- Monitoring, communicating and supporting sites integrating learning’s from Fixed Equipment, Relief System and Rotational equipment teams to raise awareness and promote continuous improvement of the MI program.
- Supporting the delivery of INEOS Life savings Rules, INEOS Personal/Process Safety Principles and INEOS Asset Care management efforts.
- Assisting the organization with MI matters related to:
- Management of Change and PSSR processes
- Incident Investigations and/or Root Cause Failure Analysis
- Participation on Industry Forums and/or Committees associated to Mechanical Integrity
- Function as a resource to Procurement, IT, and Legal in negotiating service agreements associated with MI Management systems for Fixed Equipment, Relief System and Rotational equipment.
- Assess and support requests for funding and management of funding for initiatives, programs and special projects required to deliver consistent MI management systems.
- Supports, and reflects the business view in performing assignments relating to MI and Process Safety Management (PSM)
- Clearly communicate expectations with both contractors and internal customers.