Day Shift, M - F
The Nurse Practitioner Acute Care (NP-AC) position functions as a licensed registered nurse and care provider to provide all aspects of patient care, including diagnosis, treatment and consultation while maintaining and promoting the health of the patient.. This position may work in both inpatient and outpatient situations and performs according to the nurse practice act of the State of Texas and as part of a treatment team. Role models compassionate communication with patients, physicians and the interprofessional health care team. The NP-AC position provides education to patients about preventative care and prescribed treatments. This position may also conduct physicals, order tests and serve as a patient's healthcare provider, prescribing medications as appropriate. The NP position effects direct patient care according to the Houston Methodist Professional Practice Model Nursing Practice and Professional Performance policies and procedures.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25 %
- Demonstrates leadership as a clinical resource, interprofessional consultant, and patient advocate. Identifies staff development opportunities for professional growth of colleagues, provides coaching to meet identified goals. (EF)
- Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Acts as a role model and coaches staff in effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication. Serves as preceptor for Nurse Practitioner students and medical resident(s), as applicable. (EF)
- Communicates organizational information and aspects of administrative and clinical practice in a respectful and positive manner when interacting with staff. Advocates for a balanced workload, promotes positive behaviors, and peer-to-peer accountability. Facilitates the promotion of teamwork. (EF)
- Collaborates with the interprofessional healthcare team members to manage/coordinate patient care. Advocates on patient/family¿s behalf to identify and resolve clinical and ethical concerns. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Coordinates appropriate, timely patient care under physician supervision, for a defined patient population(s), focusing on identified expected unit/optimal outcomes, individualized to the patient. Prioritizes care based on the patient¿s needs, abilities and preferences. (EF)
- Coordinates patient care between healthcare providers. Attends and participates in interdisciplinary rounds, as appropriate. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Provides safe and effective care by leading and initiating outcome, quality and safety improvement activities in alignment with organizational goals. Demonstrates highly developed assessment, clinical, documentation, leadership and analytical skills; integrates and contributes to professional practice standards, policies, procedures, protocols and leads improvements in patient safety-related processes. (EF)
- Functions as a quality care provider, coordinating, maintaining and promoting the health of the patient. Assist the interprofessional healthcare team in the development and implementation of protocols to ensure patient safety. Affects direct patient care according to the nurse practice act of the State of Texas and the Houston Methodist Professional Practice Model Nursing Practice and Professional Performance. (EF)
- Conducts health assessments (initial, ongoing, discharge, as appropriate). Identifies normal/abnormal health characteristics, develops plan of care, initiates appropriate interventions, and evaluates care outcomes on defined patient populations(s). (EF)
- Performs invasive, diagnostic or therapeutic procedures necessary for defined patient population(s) based on licensure and credentialed privileges. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Implements departmental strategies to achieve financial target on entity scorecard and mentors others to do the same through timely documentation of care, decreasing length of stay, optimizing efficiency, and other areas according to departmental specifications. (EF)
- Projects awareness and understanding of resource allocation based on patient needs and staff experience, knowledge, and skills. (EF)
- Contributes to department plans for resource utilization and capital needs to meet departmental financial target. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Promotes quality health care through integration of current research into practice and participation in research/evidence-based activities. Leads and identifies opportunities for practice changes and performance improvement. (EF)
- Provides education of information/knowledge in professional activities such as research, presentations, and publications. Expands individual nursing knowledge and coaches staff to grow in knowledge, abilities, skills, and attitudes. Serves as clinical resource. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.