Texas Works Advisor I The Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) seeks highly qualified candidates to fill the Texas Works Advisor I position within the Office of Medical and Social Services (MSS), Access and Eligibility Services (AES) Eligibility Operations Field Division. The MSS is driven by its mission to people, services, and supports by helping individuals and families in need of food, medical care, cash assistance and other social services.
The ideal candidate will thrive in an environment that emphasizes: innovation through new ideas, striving for excellence by taking pride in your work, embracing our differences as a source of strength, accomplishing more through partnership, leading by example, and learning for continuous improvement.
Texas Works Advisor I accurately determines eligibility for TANF, SNAP (food stamps), Medicaid programs. Work involves interviewing clients in person or via outbound phone call, documenting information gathered, determining eligibility for benefits, verifying case data, explaining program benefits and requirements. Work involves making outbound calls to verify client information. Reviews eligibility of clients for ongoing services. Job requires detailed oriented individuals with ability to apply complex policies and procedures.
This position may require travel of up to 75% during the training period. Travel requirement is 20% after training period is complete.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintains a regular and predictable work schedule, especially during critical, peak work days (Mondays/Tuesdays).
- Interviews clients or authorized representatives via phone or in person to gather information to determine eligibility for benefits.
- Processes changes to client status, overpayments, and adjusts or restores benefits.
- Obtains, verifies, and calculates income and resources to determine client financial eligibility.
- Conducts collateral cold calls via conference line to obtain verification of client information.
- Documents case records using automated systems to form a record for each client.
- Communicates effectively with others (internally or externally) to provide, exchange, or verify information, answer inquiries, address issues, or resolve problems or complaints.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work occasional overtime, as required by management, outside of normal hours of operation, which may include weekends when called upon.
- Must be able to work in a highly stressful and fast paced environment, under constant pressure to meet required deadlines, interview service times, standards, and thresholds.