Responsible for technical administration of construction contracts, including, transit projects, facilities maintenance contracts, HOV/HOT lanes and traffic signal systems. Coordinates and supervises the work of construction inspectors responsible for inspecting the construction activities of contractors and subcontractors. The Resident Engineer monitors the quality and effectiveness of construction inspections and testing, evaluates and resolves construction problems and disputes, prepares change orders, monitors construction work for quality, cost and schedule, and approves invoices. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
- Performs the onsite technical administration of construction activities which are executed by independent contractors under contract to METRO.
- Performs quality assurance functions and ensures that the work performed is in accordance with the general and technical provisions of the contract documents and the QA/QC program.
- Participates in constructability design reviews
- Assists in development of specifications and can support project specifications
- Coordinates with the EOR designers recording any design modification and assisting with problem solving
- Populates, maintains and manages Project electronic data base to record project history
- Manages contract submittal review and responses, requests for information (RFI)
- Chairs meetings, records and distributes meeting minutes and meeting agenda.
- Manages, directs, and supervises the work of Construction Inspectors (staff and/or contract) assigned to projects under his/her purview.Ensures that complete documentation records and checklists are created and maintained.
- Evaluates, audits and attests to the accuracy and sufficiency of each payment made for contract/construction work performed.
- Responsible for obtaining appropriate staff support, utilizing their input and implementing necessary directions from supervisors.Primary contact with Project Managers to ensure that projects are constructed as specified.
- Identifies, evaluates and resolves construction problems, claims and disputes.
Directs, and controls the volume, type and frequency of testing appropriate to each project.
- Evaluates construction schedules submitted by contractors.
- Coordinates project-related activities with utility companies, public agencies, property owners and others as required.
- Reviews and evaluates contract documents, as-built drawings and schedule
- Prepares progress reports and special reports as required.
- Creates and issues contract punch lists and manages to completion.
- Promotes safety awareness and other employee safety procedures in efforts to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.