To help people achieve their full potential through the dignity and power of work. The sale of donated and new goods at Goodwill stores enables the agency to offer a variety of employment and training services, promote self-sufficiency, and contribute to community conservation through repurposing, reusing, and recycling.
To ensure the efficient and cost-effective operation and stewardship of the Post Retail operations, security of corporate assets through donor and customer relations, processing donated goods, and quality control in order to maximize profitability. The Material Handler is responsible for assisting in processing of post retail goods and keeping equipment emptied for the transportation flow. Also, is responsible for providing world-class customer service, maintaining work place and work area safe with cleanliness and orderliness.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates Goodwill Houston’s Core Values in all actions.
- Ensures adherence to Guiding Principles and CARF standards.
- Ensures alignment and consistency of all aspects of Salvage operations to include SOPs,
- Reference Guides, job descriptions, performance evaluations, observation checklists, production standards, GoodwillU training, Safety Program, and others documents related to DGR systems.
- Greets internal and external customers in a prompt, friendly, and courteous manner; assist customers with prices, location, and information on merchandise, ensuring 100% customer delight.
- Assist with quality control assurance ensuring there is no safety hazards in the boats.
- Responsible for any cleaning as assigned.
- Adheres to all GWH and personnel policies and procedures; follow good safety practices including reporting safety hazards and injuries to the Salvage Manager.
- When applicable and as assigned, operates baler and other assigned equipment in a safe manner in accordance with organizational and safety policies and procedures.
- Processes salvage efficiently based on company needs and adapts to changes in commodities processing as assigned.
- When applicable and as assigned, bales salvageable merchandise, identify and demonstrate understanding of items that can be baled together or items that cannot be baled but should be processed separately.
- When applicable and as assigned, maintains accurate bale count with production equivalent to 8-10 bales per 8-hour shift, averaging over 1 bale per hour.
- Adhere to GWH’s Safety Standards while operating the baler and while on duty as assigned.
- Assist in efficient movement of goods in the warehouse to and from storage or production areas, and in the loading and unloading of trucks with general merchandise and donated goods with the aid of material handling equipment as needed.
- Learns to operate assigned material handling equipment in a safe and prudent manner under general supervision, in accordance with the laws of the State of Texas, organizational and safety policies and procedures.
- Responsible to assist guiding the movement of vehicles and/or material movement equipment in a safe manner and acts as a spotter.
- Use of safe work procedures and personal protective equipment as required. (i.e. lifting, use of proper equipment, etc.). Reports incidents and injuries in a timely manner to the immediate supervisor.
- Ensures that all items are processed accurately and that all saleable merchandise always makes it to the sales floor.
- Establishes and maintains a cooperative, functional work relationship with team leader and all team members.
- Follows all GWH Guiding Principles and Core Values.
- Attend in-service and related training as assigned by the Salvage Manager.
- Fosters, builds, and embodies the culture of DGR and Goodwill Houston.
- Performs other duties as assigned by team leader.