Strategic Focus and Direction - Thinks strategically and aligns strategic and tactical technology goals / objectives with business needs. Exhibits sound and broad business, technical, industry and market knowledge. Uses this knowledge to solve complex technology related problems for internal and external customers. Represents Hexion with external contacts. Nurtures and enhances relationships with counterparts in other companies, industry bodies and / or universities and customers in and outside own organization / Hexion. Builds an industry wide network in and across Hexion organizations.
Trust and Teamwork - Presents information and ideas in an articulate manner. Interacts professionally with internal and external customers and business stakeholders. Exhibits skills in participative and collaborative decision-making process Influences conflict resolution in a manner that is beneficial to the individuals concerned and the organization. Functions in a team leadership role and represents the Growth Technology organization in business teams to produce a value-added outcome. Actively seeks ways to build and improve team spirit through engaging others and demonstrating integrity, active listening, enthusiasm and rewarding high performance.
Personal Leadership - Models Hexion Core values. Must have the desire and courage to accept responsibility and accountability to make the right things happen. Seeks and embraces change by challenging the status quo. Seeks and accepts new assignments and development opportunities. Exhibits perseverance and focus in the face of adversity.
Technology - Masters and embraces Hexion "Get Zero - Get Home" culture; Product Stewardship and EH&S standards; and appreciates their sustainability and business impact. Masters project management. Exhibits sound knowledge of Intellectual Property (IP) matters and manages IP (patents and license aspects) in partnership with Business and IP representative as a critical part of projects. Broadens depth and breadth of expertise in a number of areas and uses this knowledge to teach others
- Ph. D Degree in Chemistry / Chemical Engineering
- 7-10 or more years of experience in process knowledge, research & development, propelling growth through new technology development and commercialization.
- 3-5 years experience in organic synthesis
- Demonstrated skills/experience in leadership, driving entrepreneurial teams. Minimum 1-3 years experience leading team(s) of diverse creative professionals with full direct people responsibility and demonstrable track of having dealt with most of HR aspects in such roles
- Experience with batch and/or continuous processing of specialty chemicals e.g polymers, plant nutrition, etc.
- Experience in wet chemistry, chemical synthesis, lab work. Running customer trials is essential.
- Experience in formaldehyde and derivatives chemistry and operations considered an advantage
- Demonstrated Project Management experience and training.
- High level of verbal and written communication skills.
- Prior exposure and ability to learn budget development and management as well as P&L understanding.
- Group facilitation understanding with basic QFD, process mapping, prioritization setting tools.
- Ability to learn and apply Six Sigma problem-solving tools.
- Demonstrated customer-facing experience.
- Demonstrated success in working in a matrix environment.
- Experience with matrix management of R&D and Operational resources.
- Ph. D in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- Related background considered in cases where broad industry experience exists.
We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, minority status, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any characteristic protected by law.
In order to be considered for this position candidates are required to submit an application for employment through our career site, be at least 18 years of age, willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
Candidates are required to have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.
If currently an employee of the Company, you must have current satisfactory work performance and in most cases, have been in your current role 18 months.