The Animal Cruelty Investigator will respond to calls involving suspected and known cases of animals being treated cruelly within Harris County and the seven surrounding counties. The primary schedule of an Animal Cruelty Investigator is during the day; however, an on call rotation is scheduled for emergency response after hours. The Investigator also assists in running animal rescue calls when needed, which involves the rescue of injured strays and transportation to the Houston SPCA for care.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Respond to reports of animal cruelty on animals or animals in distress within the service area of the Houston SPCA.
- Prioritize reports and make judgment calls for responding to animals needing assistance based on Houston SPCA protocols and directives issued by the Houston SPCA command staff.
- Evaluate animal conditions and insure the animals are being treated humanely and within the guidelines of Texas law.
- Participate in a weekly rotational on call schedule involving emergency animal cruelty hotline.
- Maintain effective and consistent investigative methods, as well as effective communication with individuals involved with the assigned cases and with command staff at all times.
- Prepare, maintain and track a large quantity of reports of animal cruelty.
- Establish control and capture of all types of animals in a variety of health and temperaments, including fractious animals and animals in hazardous environments.
- Work independently and communicate effectively with the public on a range of animal related issues.
- Provide information to the public about Houston SPCA programs and promoting good animal care and responsible pet ownership.
- Protect all confidential information, including customers, donors, animals and internal communications.
- Represent the Houston SPCA by providing excellent customer service and focus.