Help installation, maintenance, and repair workers in maintenance, parts replacement, and repair of vehicles, industrial machinery, and electronic equipment. Perform duties such as furnishing tools, materials, and supplies to other workers, cleaning work area, machines, and tools: and holding materials or tools for other workers.
The Helper classification can be associated with a craft, or may be used to designate a laborer who performs all functions required to support people of different crafts. Because the Helper may be a generalist, the position description includes Essential Functions and Other Functions/Success Factors.
Paint walls, equipment, buildings, bridges, and other structural surfaces, using brushes, rollers, and spray guns. May remove old paint to prepare surface prior to painting. May mix colors or oils to obtain desired color or consistency.
- Paints surfaces, using brushes, spray gun, or rollers.
- Applies paint to simulate wood grain, marble, brick, or stonework.
- Uses pressure washer or blasting equipment to prepare surfaces.
- Cuts stencils, and brushes and sprays lettering and decorations on surfaces.
- Sands surfaces between coats and polishes final coat to specified finish.
- Bakes finish on painted and enameled articles in baking oven.
- Washes and treats surfaces with oil, turpentine, mildew remover, or other preparations.
- Mixes and matches colors of paint, stain, or varnish.
- Fills cracks, holes, and joints with caulk putty, plaster, or other filler, using caulking gun or putty knife.
- Reads work order or receives instructions from supervisor
- Climbs scaffolding or sets up and climbs ladders to work above ground level.
- Covers surfaces with dropcloths or masking tape and paper to protect surface during painting.
- Burns off old paint, using blowtorch.
- Removes fixtures, such as pictures and electric switchcovers, from walls prior to painting.
- Sprays or brushes hot plastics or pitch onto surfaces.
- Smoothes surfaces, using sandpaper, scrapers, brushes, steel wool, or sanding machine.