- You must be a citizen of the U.S., or an alien authorized to work in the U.S
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must possess a High School Diploma from an accredited senior high school or equivalent, or a state or military-issued General Education Development (GED) certificate.
- You must not be on active duty in the military, unless on terminal leave.(Applicants may screen if they are within 6 months of eligibility.)
- You must not have been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
- You must never have been convicted of a felony.
- You must never have been convicted of an offense involving domestic violence.
- You cannot have had a Class B misdemeanor conviction within the past 5 years.
- You cannot have had a Class A misdemeanor conviction within the past 10 years.
- You cannot be on probation for any criminal offense.
- You cannot have any criminal charges pending or have an outstanding warrant.
- You must be able to perform the essential functions of a Correctional Officer, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- You must pass the TDCJ Drug Test.
- Male applicants, age 18 through 25, must provide proof of Selective Service registration or exemption from Selective Service registration.
The following Military Occupational Specialty codes are generally applicable to this position. Applicants must fully complete the summary of experience to determine if minimum qualifications are met. 31, 19, 18, 11, 31C, 31E, 31B, 19K, 19D, 18B, 11B, 749X, 649X, MA, 5811, 5831, 5832, 5804, 58, 3P