Are you ready to make a difference in a new career? Are you ready to return to a career with a purpose? The Texas Department of Criminal Justice is hiring Correctional Officers across Texas. Apply today!
Full Time and Part Time positions available. Part Time (20 hours per week) with Benefits.
Starting salary of $3091.84 monthly full-time and $1509.92 part-time with career ladder pay increases built into honor time worked and veteran service time recognized.
Career Ladder Pay
- CO I $36,238 or $37,325 for Max Security Unit (0-2 months)
- CO II $37,296 or $38,415 for Max Security Unit (3-6 months)
- CO III $38,302 or $339,451 for Max Security Unit (7-12 months)
- CO IV $39,411 or $40,594 for Max Security Unit (13-24 months)
- CO IV $40,590 or $$41,808 for Max Security Unit (25-36 months)
- CO IV $ 41,769 or $$43,022 for Max Security Unit (37-72 months)
- CO V $44,642 or $45,981 for Max Security Unit (73+ months)
Salary rates may differ for return-to-work retirees who are not ERS contributors.
Correctional staff working on maximum-security facilities will receive an additional 3% as maximum-security differential (MSD) pay. Maximum Security Facilities: Allred, Beto, Clements, Coffield, Connally, Darrington, Ellis, Estelle, Ferguson, Hughes, Lewis, McConnell, Michael, Montford, Polunsky, Robertson, Scott, Skyview, Smith, Stiles, Telford, Wainwright, Wynne
A veteran who has completed at least two years active military service and been discharged under honorable conditions, or an applicant who has earned an associate's or bachelor's degree from an accredited college will start as a Correctional Officer IV, pay level 4, $3,284.27 per month. Regular promotions within the career path continue, progressing to $3,720.17 at 61 months of TDCJ service.
A CO applicant with prior government correctional custody or law enforcement experience within the 36-month period preceding date of hire shall be hired at a pay level corresponding with the months of service if dates of employment are verified by former employer and the applicant left employer in good standing.
- Current State paid 100% health care plan premiums for eligible full-time employees and 50% of the premium for their eligible dependents. Eligible part-time employees get a 50% state contribution for themselves and 25% for their dependents.
- Benefits starting after 60 days of employment.
- Vision, dental, life, accidental insurance, short- and long-term disability plans available
- Overtime Pay is currently available
- Retirement options with employer match
- Paid Training Free Uniforms
- Earn Sick Time and Vacation Time from Day One
- You must be a U.S. citizen or an immigrant with lawful status, who is authorized to work in the U.S.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must possess a High School Diploma from an accredited senior high school or equivalent, or a state or military-issued General Education Development (GED) certificate.
- You must not be on active duty in the military, unless on terminal leave.(Applicants may screen if they are within 6 months of eligibility.)
- You must not have been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
- You must never have been convicted of a felony.
- You must never have been convicted of an offense involving domestic violence.
- You cannot have had a Class B misdemeanor conviction within the past 5 years.
- You cannot have had a Class A misdemeanor conviction within the past 10 years.
- You cannot be on probation for any criminal offense.
- You cannot have any criminal charges pending or have an outstanding warrant.
- You must be able to perform the essential functions of a Correctional Officer, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- You must pass the TDCJ Drug Test.
- You must pass the TDCJ Physical Agility Test.
- Male applicants, age 18 through 25, must provide proof of Selective Service registration or exemption from Selective Service registration.
- A State of Texas Application for Employment, TDCJ Employment Application
- Supplement (PERS 282), and all other required documents should be completed
**Former employees who held correctional officer or security supervisor positions and that have been separated less than 36 months can re-apply by faxing the required documents to 936-437-3111.
**The following Military Occupational Specialty codes are generally applicable to this position. Applicants must fully complete the summary of experience to determine if minimum qualifications are met. 31, 19, 18, 11, 31C, 31E, 31B, 19K, 19D, 18B, 11B, 749X, 649X, MA, 5811, 5831, 5832, 5804, 58, 3P