If you’re a detail-oriented and diligent person who enjoys problem solving and working in a close-knit team environment, look no further! We are seeking an Accounting Assistant to join our team in in a fast-paced and fun work environment. Day to day responsibilities of this position include assisting with processing tax certificates, reviewing transactions for taxability and proper documentation, and assisting our awesome store teams with their sales tax issues and questions. Periodic tasks include the opportunity to learn sales tax compliance and reporting, and participating in special research projects that contribute to a measured impact on the way our business operates. We’re looking for a hard-working individual who’s got a great balance between being self-directed and working as part of a team. An accounting degree is not necessarily required, but a strong work ethic, a customer service-oriented attitude, and Excel skills are a plus.
The Accounting Assistant position is a position established to perform various accounting tasks and in doing so provides direct support to the Corporate Accounting Supervisor and or the Manager within that group
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Scans all items related to sales tax exemption certificates, journal entries, and other projects as assigned
- Reviews and resolves sales tax exceptions through the point of sales system
- Reviews default taxability of SKU set ups
- Preparation and filing of sales tax returns, annual reports, and business license permits
- Assists in training store personnel on tax exempt documentation and processes
- Assists and communicates with other departments on tax exempt issues
- Researches sales tax issues through outside sources
- Receives and responds to phone calls related to sales tax exemptions from stores and management
- Creates accrual journal entries and reconciles balance sheets as assigned
- Assists with p-card administration
- Downloads or imports files from vendor websites, create, modify, and process files either manually or by using appropriate computer programs, maintain necessary passwords to access vendor websites
- Other projects as assigned
This job has no supervisory responsibilities
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED); one or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees or managers within the organization
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
- Ability to regularly field phone calls and emails on the fly from stores and customers, and answer in ways that protect the Company’s interests, but also educate the caller in a kind manner. A charismatic and customer service-oriented personality is a must.
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Word & Excel and other 3rd party software as assigned
- Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined by management
- Must be regularly available and willing to work at least 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week or such other hours per day or hours per week as the employer determines are necessary or desirable to meet business needs
- Must be available and willing to work such overtime per day or per week as the employer determines is necessary or desirable to meet business needs
- Must be available and willing to work such weekends and holidays as the employer determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
McCoy’s is an equal opportunity employer. Equal access to programs, services and employment is available to all persons. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodations in the application and/or interview process should contact a representative of the Human Resources Department.