TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION, PLEASE APPLY THROUGH THE SPRING
BRANCH ISD WEBSITE AND COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION.
Reports To: Director of Transportation
Classification: Auxiliary (Skilled Labor)
Wage/Hour Status: Non-exempt
Salary: See Compensation Plan for Auxiliary Pay Plan, Pay Grade 305
Primary Purpose: Ensure safe, efficient and orderly transportation of students on assigned route. Operate school bus that transports students and other authorized personnel to and from schools or other designated location.
- Obtain and maintain a valid Texas commercial driver’s license (Class B) with an endorsement, and all other required licenses, permits, and certificates.
- Completion of High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Acceptable driving record as determined by the Texas Department of Public Safety and by SBISD as well as any other local, state and federal requirements.
- Complete and pass the Texas School Bus Driver’s Course, allied courses and examinations.
- Eligible for coverage under the district’s vehicle insurance program.
- Certification of good health as required by the State of Texas and signed by a licensed physician.
- Ability to pass department physical dexterity test. Must have an interest in the education and welfare of children.
- Must be 21 years and older.
- Ability to pass alcohol and drug tests to be given on pre-employment, random, post-accident and/or reasonable suspicion basis, in accordance with law and District policy.
- Ability to complete required bus driver safety training. Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to read, write and perform basic mathematical skills including the ability to read and interpret routes and maps, and the ability to complete assigned forms and reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Knowledge of student discipline procedure. Ability to manage student behavior.
- Ability to operate bus and to evacuate bus safely, including the ability to climb in and out of the emergency door.
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Work with frequent interruptions.
- Continual sitting. Pushing, reaching above shoulders, and repetitive hand, foot and arm motions.
- Work positions include kneeling and climbing, with extended reach above head (12 inches) and extended reach in front of body (14 inches).
- Load and unload vehicle, lifting and pulling up to 20 pounds on hand device while operating the service door, opening and closing numerous times per shift.
- Climb in and out of bus through service door, multiple times per shift.
- Enter and exit the bus through the emergency exits. Heavy lifting and dragging (50) pounds and over).
- Walking and standing.
- Operation of a motor vehicle, including driving in reverse which requires twisting the upper body and neck while driving.
- Specific visual requirements (Driving), depth perception, ability to distinguish basic colors.
- Specific hearing requirements (Driving, oral and phone conversations).
- Must be able to pass a mandatory Department of Transportation Physical and a District which includes the following:
Diabetes – have no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of diabetes Mellitus currently requiring insulin for control.
Hypertension – Blood pressure maximum 160/90.
- Vision – have distant visual acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in each eye with or without corrective lenses or visual acuity separately corrected to 20/40 (Snellen) or better with corrective lenses, field of vision of at least 70 degrees in the horizontal meridian in each eye and the ability to recognize the colors of traffic signals and devices showing standard red, green and amber.
- First perceive a forced whispered voice in the better ear not less than 5 feet with or without the use of a hearing aid, or if tested by use of an audiometric device, does not have an average hearing loss in the better ear greater than 40 decibels at 500 Hz, 1,000 Hz and 2,000 Hz with or without a hearing aid when the audiometric device is calibrated to American National Standard (formerly ASA Standard) Z24.5-1951.
- Work outside and inside; moderate exposure to extreme temperature (heat) and humidity.
- Excessive noise (intermittent); periods of constant noise.
- Dust, fumes, smoke, or gases.
- Unusual fatigue factors (long hours of driving – trips).
- Protracted or irregular hours of work.
*Spring Branch Independent School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with Title IX and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status or disability.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required. By applying for this position, I acknowledge that I have read and understand the job description listed above.*
Job Type: Full-time
- Education: High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Location: Houston, TX 77024 (Preferred)
- License: Class B CDL (Required)