Education, Experience and Training Guidelines:
- High school diploma or equivalent; AND eight years of direct experience in emergency management; OR a degree in Emergency Management, Public Administration, Industrial Safety, Business Management, Planning or a directly related field, and/or four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience in the emergency management, strategic planning, research, project management, policy research, and program development License & Certifications requirements located below are mandatory prerequisites to apply for this position.
- State and federal laws, rules and regulations governing emergency management.
- Code of federal regulations.
- Texas government and criminal codes.
- Local government codes.
- Fire protection and engineering principles and practices.
- Hazardous materials management.
- Crises management and emergency response principles and practices.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS).
- Incident Command System (ICS).
- Continuity of Operations (COOP)
- Department policies, procedures and regulations covering specific areas of assignment.
- Principles and practices of administrative management.
- Principles and practices of effective employee training.
- Principles and practice of project management.
- Functional Needs Support Services (FNSS)
- Communicating effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with managers, supervisors, employees, elected officials, local/state/federal officials, hospitals, police and fire departments, private businesses, civic groups, volunteer organizations and the general public.
- Using initiative, discretion and decision making within established procedures, guidelines and rules.
- Defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts and drawing valid conclusions.
- Working effectively within strict time frames and under pressure. Use of sound judgment and maintain composure under emergency operations.
- Driving a county truck and towing trailers.
- Providing effective customer service.
- Operating a personal computer and various software applications.
LICENSE & CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- NIMS and ICS Advanced Instructor certification.
- Hazardous Materials Awareness.
- Valid Texas Driver's License.
- Must Pass Criminal Background Check and Drug Test prior to employment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Work is performed both in an office and outdoor work environment.
- May be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions, potential physical harm, hazardous chemicals and infectious diseases.
- May be required to climb ladders and work at high locations.
- May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.