Light Rail Train Operator Trainee
METRO Transit Authority
$15.00 / Hour
Upon certification as a Light Rail Train (LRT) Operator, will operate METRORail Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs) in accordance with METRORail established policies and procedures. Must maintain recertification as an LRT Operator every two years. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Must pass all safety and training standards and obtain certification as an LRT Operator.
- Operates LRV’s in accordance with METRORail policies, procedures and rulebook.
- Maintains METRORail schedules and running times.
- Operates vehicle in the storage yard and into and out of the maintenance building.
- Interacts with passengers in a professional manner, answers questions, provides information and addresses concerns of riders.
- Operates radio system in accordance with set radio protocols and FCC regulations, notifying Train Control Center of appropriate information regarding emergency situations and other operational situations.
- Troubleshoots mechanical and electrical failures of vehicle using on board diagnostic equipment. Utilizes circuit breakers, brake cutouts and bypass switches under the direction of Rail Supervisors and TCC as appropriate.
- Announces station stops in event of service interruption or failure of automated announcement equipment.
- Performs LRV safety checks and inspections in accordance with set procedures.
- Operates electric and manual track switches as required.
- Works flagging duties as assigned.
- Assists in the acceptance and commissioning of new light rail vehicles and test operations.
- Requires successful completion of Vehicle Familiarization Course for all light rail vehicles.
- Successfully completes vendor-training courses for vehicle and wayside equipment as required.
- Completes all accident/incident forms, logs and completes associated required paperwork.
- Maintains a safe clean work environment.
- Safely operates METRORail non-revenue vehicles.
- Promotes safety awareness and other employee safety procedures in efforts to reduce or eliminate accidents.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum six (6) months as part time or full time METRO Bus Operator or one (1) year as METRO employee. Acceptable work record to include but not limited to: No suspensions, no more than one (1) reprimand, three (3) misses or less and no preventable vehicular accidents within the preceding twelve (12) months of application.
Must have current driving record with no tickets or accidents within three (3) years of application. Transportation experience desirable. Must have a minimum of three (3) years of consistent work history. Customer service experience, working with the public; ability to work independently as well as part of a team; willing to work all shifts and split shifts as well as on weekends and holidays. Must pass a pre-employment background investigation and a drug and alcohol screen. No job related felony/misdemeanors. Criminal convictions are reviewed on a case by case basis and the job relatedness is determined by METRO.
Two or more DUI or DWI convictions with no time limit; any DUI or DWI convictions within the preceding three (3) years; invalid, suspended, or revoked drivers’ license and no more than two (2) moving violations in the past three (3) years.
- Must be 21 years or older.
- Pass all pre-selection testing.
- Meet all physical requirements to include medical examinations and pre-selection physical assessment.
- Valid Texas drivers’ license required and must be able to maintain.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Valid Texas Driver’s License is required.
- Must obtain certification as an LRT Operator and maintain annual certification
- Ability to pass all safety and training courses.
- Must know or become knowledgeable of METRORail policies and procedures and the METRORail rulebook.
- Ability to communicate proficiently both verbally and written.
- Ability to accurately complete written reports, records and forms.
- Bilingual ability is a plus.