Transit Bus Repair - Bus Mechanic
METRO Transit Authority
Transportation, Skilled & Trades, Mechanics
$26.10 / Hour
The Transit Bus Repair “A” must have a thorough knowledge of components on METRO’s revenue vehicles and their proper function as required for job classification. Additionally, the Transit Bus Repair “A” must show a proficient knowledge and use of test equipment and specialized tools related to classification requirements. The Transit Bus Repair “A” must independently diagnose and repair all defects to completion in a timely manner under the supervision of a Mechanical Foreman. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Performs Preventive Maintenance Inspections (PMI) on revenue fleet.
- Inspects and/or test and observe defective equipment to troubleshoot and diagnose malfunctions of major components and complete assemblies.
- Performs diagnosis and repair of air brake systems, suspension, steering and alignment.
- Proper use and interpretation of laptop computer and related HVAC software. Must be able to read and interpret refrigerant, hydraulic, and pneumatic pressure gauges and understand the proper use of battery/ charging system analyzers.
- Services and diagnose Multiplex Systems utilizing test instruments such as laptop computer, ID Reader/ Writer and able to read ladder logic charts.
- Assists in the servicing and diagnosing of exhaust after-treatment systems and electronic engine controls.
- Assists in the servicing, diagnosing and troubleshooting of Hybrid and Alternate Fuel Propulsion Systems applicable to revenue fleet.
- Inspects and verifies dimensions, clearances, and torque of part fasteners to ensure conformance to factory specifications.
- Road tests vehicles when necessary to diagnose malfunctions or to ensure that they are working properly.
- Completes all required reports and records in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Assists in work direction with mechanics as assigned.
- Participates in on-going training in accordance with METRO’s Maintenance Training Program.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent. Graduation from a related technical school preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Four (4) years mechanical repair experience on heavy duty equipment or Five (5) years mechanical experience on automotive or light duty equipment.
Knowledge & Skills Required
A valid Commercial Texas Driver’s License “P” endorsement is required and must meet METRO’s requirements regarding motor vehicle records. The ability to drive any Authority owned vehicle. Able to maintain or obtain additional certification/licenses as required. Possess complete knowledge of all tools and equipment in shop related to job classification. Must maintain a basic set of personal hand tools to perform repairs related to job classification with exception of specialized tools provided by METRO. Ability to complete written reports, records and forms. Must be able to speak, read and write English. Must obtain Texas Commercial Driver’s License within 90 days of employment.