Purpose of Position
Primary responsibility is to lead and direct Gulf Winds International, Inc’s safety culture. This position serves as the company subject matter expert in DOT, OSHA, & US Customs Regulations, and is responsible for implementing and executing safety programs that effectively lead the safety culture for the company. This position is responsible for providing sound leadership and management to the safety, security, environmental and health programs as well as ensuring compliance with all applicable federal, state and/or local DOT/FMCSA, OSHA, USCBP, & EHS legislation. Requires strong problem-solving skills, leadership, mentoring abilities and superior communications ability with all stakeholders both internal and external.
Primary Job Responsibilities: include the following.
Other duties may be assigned as deemed appropriate by Senior Management.
- Oversee, Direct, & Lead the Safety Team with management and auditing of all policies, processes, documents, and operations with regards to Environmental, Health, and Safety compliance.
- Maintain regulatory compliance in these areas, (DOT, OSHA, PHMSA, EPA, TGLO, USCBP) and manages risk and develops strong positive behaviors in all employees & contractors
- Oversee and direct Driver Fuel Purchasing, Company FMCSA Postings, Company OSHA Postings, & Administer the DOT-Regulated Drug & Alcohol Testing Program.
- Monitor and report trending on all CSA BASIC categories and implement continuous improvement plans and procedures to improve scores by way of initial training function during driver orientation, re-training as required, and remedial training per company
- Oversee and direct the processes and follow through of all insurance claims, accident reporting, insurance renewals for all policy lanes, certificates of insurance, and company contract renewals.
- Ensure FMCSA Compliance for Independent Contract Drivers, Multi-Employer Drivers, and Employee Drivers.
- Coordinate EHS&S activities with a strong emphasis on PSM and Root Cause Analysis.
- Schedule and training on various topics including but not limited to: FMCSA & DOT Regulations Training, OSHA Regulatory Training, Hazardous Materials General Awareness Training, Reasonable Suspicion Training, Independent Contractor Relations Training
- Maintain active PHSMA, USDOT, TXDOT, Smartway-EPA, and other state and local governing authority permits company-wide; as well as special OOG, OW, or Trip/Fuel Permitting.
- Maintain EAP & SPCC Plans for each warehouse and yard location company-wide.
- Ensure that all Driver Qualification files, Maintenance Records, IRP, IFTA, and DOT Accident files are current and maintained.
- Maintain compliance for DOT annual inspections, truck registrations, company inspections on all leased trucks pursuant to regulations and company policy.
- Manage the P(L) for day-to-day Safety & Compliance Department Invoicing/Operations.
- Direct, Measure, and Track departmental KPI’s and Key Objectives.
- Approve/Deny DOT Hauling/Storing Daily with Sales and Logistics Coordinators on Hazardous Cargo Shipments and Overweight Shipments
- Lead the Joint Warehouse Safety Committee in relentless pursuit of zero harm goal.
- Attend Port of Houston Authority, Ceres, BNSF, Union Pacific, PTRA, and HACSP Safety Meetings.
Gulf Winds International, Inc. was founded in April 1996. The idea was to develop a full service, third party logistics company that would focus on warehousing, land transportation, distribution and consolidation.
In 1997, the Houston Trucking division opens with 5 trucks and by 1998 Gulf Winds opened its 2nd warehouse facility. By 2012 Gulf Winds opened its 7th warehouse. Today Gulf Winds is operating with over 2.3 million square feet of warehouse space. By any measurement standard, Gulf Winds is a remarkable success story. In just a few years, the company has grown from only four employees with one account to over 500 employees including ILA and contract labor and thousands of accounts with several locations in Houston and Dallas.