SUMMARY Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Service Director and according to established policies and procedures, performs various Clinical Laboratory tests in one or more sections of the Laboratory. Analyzes and interprets test results and ensures accuracy of same. Uses technical competencies and judgment to respond and handle situations as they arise. Assists with the Laboratory PI program, ordering of supplies, developing procedures and other areas as needed. Senior technologists assume responsibility for charge duties when the Lab Service Director or Assistant
Lab Director is not on-site.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Service Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision, and
- Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
- Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Participates in Performance Improvement activities such as chairing/participating in PI teams, giving input to resolve/improve issues.
- Assists in procedure development, scheduling and other areas as needed.
- Volunteers to fill shift vacancies and accommodates schedule to meet department needs.
- People Consistently follows patient care, and facility guidelines and procedures in performance.
- Collaborates with inter and intraprofessional colleagues to ensure quality outcomes.
- Communicates liaisons, instructs, and dialogs appropriately with health care providers, patients, and vendors on issues such as test interpretation, recommendations for alternate testing, instrumentation and problems with specimens/methodology.
- Pursues solutions to technical or personnel problems and communicates to appropriate person.
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintains competency, as evidenced by completion of competency validation requirements.
- Promotes of a culture of patient safety which results in the identification and reduction of unsafe practices.
- Uses professional judgment and critical thinking to prepare, prioritize, and execute the patient’s plan of care consistent with patient assessment data, physicians’ treatment plans, and professional standards of care.
- Implements measures to prevent exposure to infectious pathogens and communicable conditions.
- Identifies risks and hazards to patients through various risk assessments, with actions taken to mitigate patient harm.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Monitors, operates, troubleshoots, and performs quality control, calibration, and maintenance on instrumentation in assigned area.
- Identifies, documents, and takes corrective actions whenever test systems are outside designated parameters.
- Assesses, processes, and analyzes specimens and reports results according to established policies and procedures. Maintains records of quality control and patient test results.
- Performs and documents proficiency testing in the same manner as patient samples.
- Applies knowledge of clinical significance of test results and communicates accurately and in a timely manner to the appropriate medical personnel.
- Supportive of the compliance program set forth by Steward and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Steward Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the
- Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
- Growth: Maintains competency and knowledge of current standards of practice, trends, and developments.
- Enhances the patient experience by fostering a positive relationship with customers. Contributes to improving HCAHPS results.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and developments in the field.
- Finance: Promotes stewardship of hospital resources while ensuring quality patient care.
- Ensures adequate supplies, reagents and materials by inventorying supplies, ordering and/or re- stocking supplies.
- Additional responsibilities for Lead Medical Technologist:
- Monitors and orders supplies through the materials management system.