JOB SUMMARY: (Briefly summarize the main duties and functions of the job):
Under supervision of the Circulating Nurse, the Surgical Technologist prepares for scheduled procedures and arranges sterile set up of instrument tables according to established protocol. He/she assists surgeons by passing instruments and supplies, holding retractors and anticipating surgeons’ needs during course of procedure. The surgical tech also cleans the operating room and stores equipment and supplies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports and maintains the Mission, Core Values and expected customer service behaviors of St. Joseph Medical Center.
- Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Promotes a culture of safety for patients and Associates through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
- Keeps current regarding developments in surgical equipment, trends and techniques, through in-service programs.
- Scrubs for cases according to established sterile procedures; dons sterile gown and gloves, and assists surgeons as needed.
- Prepares for scheduled operative procedure by arranging sterile set up of instrument table with supplies, instruments and sutures required for specific procedures according to surgeons’ preference.
- Passes instrument, sponges, sutures and other sterile supplies and equipment to surgeons and assistants during procedures, holds retraction devices and acts to anticipate and respond to surgeons’ needs during course of surgery.
- Counts sponges, needles and instruments according to established policy and assists with sterile dressing of operative site following procedure. Cleans operating room according to established procedures following each case by removing drapes, replacing hamper and trash bags, disposing of used supplies, cleaning and returning equipment to appropriate storage areas, and so forth.
- Receives surgical specimens, places same in preservative solutions and notifies circulating nurse of type of specimen.
- Performs related clerical and service duties such as answering telephones, relaying messages, scheduling cases, transporting patients to and from surgery, requisitioning supplies and so forth.
- Participates as assigned in operating room services on call schedule and arrives on site within 45 minutes.
- Assists in orienting and training new associates.
- Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS Healthcare and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
- Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.