Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
As part of our Digital Payments technology domain, you’ll:
- Lead Agile-focused software development teams to help our organization drive towards emerging technologies. While primarily providing hands-on development work, you’ll also mentor junior-level software developers.
- Leverage your leadership skills to help shape our business and technology outcomes to meet customer and partner needs.
- Create and break-down product/platform efforts into successful execution-ready plans.
- Contribute to the developer experience by leveraging the latest industry technologies to enhance current solution patterns and define new ones.
- Responsible for designing, developing, and implementing software solutions that meet business needs.
- Works on more complex, less clearly-defined software projects under limited supervision. Applies a full understanding of established systems software development principles and best practices to analyze complex issues. Updates or modifies working methods in their own role/work area without the benefit of defined procedures.
- Lead Software Engineers are expected to have a high level of knowledge of domain technologies, platforms and systems software development principles and best practices to independently resolve problems and make major changes to existing processes/systems.
How You’ll Do It
- Maintain application software and systems.
- Test and mitigate risks for all projects and releases
- Ensure quality code is delivered through continuous integration, development, and testing.
- Perform technical design, coding with test automation, support, and documentation of software application modifications.
- Deliver technology solutions that support business goals.
- Partner with product owners to understand business requirements, evaluate features, and translate application specifications into workable technical solutions.
- Support technical initiatives and provide team with input into best practices.
- Oversee and review development activities of highly-complex global teams, consisting of both full-time staff and contractors.
- Provide leadership and guidance to junior-level software developers to enhance their growth and help them achieve objectives.
- Modifies existing software to correct errors, adapt to new hardware,, upgrade interfaces, and improve performance.
- Develops and directs software system testing and validation procedures.
- Leads software programming and the development of technical documentation
- Consults with the business on project status, proposals, technical issues, software design, and maintenance.
- Analyzes information to determine, recommend, and plan installations of a new systems and modifications to existing systems
- Works autonomously and with Associate/Software engineers to support and maintain products the team is responsible for by ensuring availability of all tools and completing customer requests
- Actively participates in agile team and ceremonies.
- Works with other product teams to complete project activities, such as Infrastructure, Architecture and Database teams.
- Breaks down complex requirements into workable technical solutions for Associate/Software Engineers
- Assist in the evaluation of new product tools and maintaining current levels of existing tools
- Ensures support documentation is up to date and communicated to entire team
- Adheres to regulatory, PDP, Change Management and Internet Department processes and standards, ensuring all projects are compliant.
- Document software and perform related duties as assigned or requested.
- Actively contribute to best practices to support a strong software architecture.
- Follows proper handling of sensitive data per security guidelines.
- Identifies and executes opportunities to leverage agile/iterative/lean processes to deliver projects faster.
- Incorporates and supports new technology/frameworks to support our continuous integration efforts.
- Gathers requirements and builds automation/monitoring workflows to eliminate manual work and ensure availability of all applications
- Actively engages in continuous professional development plan
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in information technology
- 6+ years of experience in Software Engineering or related
- In lieu of degree, 8+ years of experience in Software Engineering or related
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Experience working in a highly complex and scaled global technology organization
- Time spent working for an organization in either the financial services or technology space
- 4 years of Tandem HP-NonStop development experience, including Application UI, workflows, notifications, SLAs and Service Catalog forms
- Experience with design, development, deployment, and maintenance of software using TAL, pTAL, COBOL and Pathways
- Ability to build or modify scripts using TACL and ENFORM
- Experience with processing debit card payments
- Experience in Connex switch development and maintenance
- Good understanding of ISO8583 message format
- Experience in using Paragon, C2P or similar testing tools
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced oral, written and presentation communications including the ability to present technical information in a way that non-technical audiences will understand
- Experience with multiple ServiceNow platform products desired
- Experience with Agile delivery methodologies
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational databaseandNoSQL database
- Strong experience with CI/CDpipelines withJenkins orsimilar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies #LI-BG1 #Remote
What are you waiting for Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer . We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.